Being a part of ONL221 - Open-Networked Learning 2022

In 2022, I will be taking part in a unique open online course - ONL221. It is an online course organised by a consortium of universities in Asia, South Africa and Europe. The aim of the course is to bring together teachers, course designers, educational developers and learning technologists in higher education to discuss issues relating to online and collaborative learning. The course will utilise a combination of webinars and small, interactive problem-based learning groups - all online - to explore these issues. In addition to the learning activities that take place via those two fora, participants are also encourage to periodically reflect - and share those reflections via a blog - on the material and topics discussed during the course. This blog will be my reflection space.

By way of background, I have been an educator in law faculties at tertiary institutions in Hong Kong and Singapore since 2006. As with most educators, the online learning space has become increasingly important because of the pandemic. However, what I am especially interested in learning from this course is what we have learned from the 'forced' entry into online teaching and learning - what have we gained from this shift to the online learning space? How can we use this experience to really explore opportunities for enhanced teaching and learning - what can we do better online than in person? My view has always been that teaching and learning is a really organic and experiential activity and that much is lost by moving online: nothing can replace being in a physical space with your students. However, I really want to test the depth and stability of this assumption through ONL221.

I really look forward to sharing my reflections with you as I work my way through the course, learning from the facilitators and other participants.

Comments

  1. From my initial experience in this transition, I think hybrid approaches will allow us to optimise learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment